Saturday, May 9, 2009

















My son and I fished at Foster Reservoir again today! After a hot fishing trip on Monday, I couldn't stay away! We didn't have the boat today so we had to find the path down to the lake to where we were on Monday. This area is located near the second bridge on Quartsville Dr heading up to Green Peter Reservoir.
We fished from around 9:30 a.m. to about 1:30 p.m.
I was really busy helping my son today. We both limited out on trout.

*Weather - Sunny. Temperature - around 70 degrees. A slight breeze picked up between 10:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.

*Fish - Kept 10 rainbow trout between 8 and 11 inches. Also kept one smallmouth bass that was 11 inches long (I fried him up last night and that was one good eating fish. I think even better than rainbow trout)!

*Flies. Tried Several flies for smallmouth bass: Size 4 brown Carey Bugger; size 10 purple, green and black bead-head Carey Buggers; size 10 olive Wooly Bugger; size 8 Carey Special; size 14 bead-head rubber-legged (black) prince nymph.
Only had one strike on the size 10 purple bead-head Carey Bugger.

*Other Tackle - I used my fly rod with a 9ft tapered leader (I don’t think it is nine foot long anymore) and a size 12 Eagle Claw hook baited with Pautzke Green Label salmon eggs to catch two trout and the smallmouth bass.
We caught the rest of the fish on chartreuse PowerBait and size 18 golden treble hooks. The fish hook themselves with these tiny treble hooks and you don't deal with nearly the amount of frustration as experienced with other larger hooks... All you have to do is start reeling in when you have a fish on. The hook was placed 12-14 inches below three small split-shot sinkers. This is a shorter leader than I used to use, but it has proven to be very effective.

*Water temperature - unknown (thermometer is still on my wish list).

It was a great day fishing with my sun and being very successful. My wife and sister-in-law came along today as well, although they didn't fish. However, they did provide us with a delicious lunch!
Tight Lines! - nimrod243

No comments:

Post a Comment